Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Teaching Modesty

I believe there are several ways in which our school can and should step up and provide resources for young women on our campus. These include teaching, living an example, and providing guidelines. For now, I'd like to address the main one - teaching.

Teaching is one of the most vital ways of helping modesty be understood and applied on our campus. Although many students and faculty observe that this is a problem on the campus, all agreed that it was not being taught. I don’t believe that girls are purposely dressing in a way to allure or consciously putting their value in their bodies – rather, I think many are simply unaware. Because of the importance of this issue, it should be the college’s responsibility to provide this teaching for their students.

Teaching could be provided through several outlets. Our school could benefit from Bible classes that emphasize practical Christianity, including the topic of modesty and apparel. The girls’ deans and AGA leaders could teach this topic through worships on Mondays or other girls’ events. We could talk about the topic at chapel, freely and openly, along with the topic of lust. They’re sensitive issues, but they desperately need to be addressed and our school is silent. Lastly, we could even invite in speakers like Dannah Gresh, author of “Secret Keepers”, a book on modesty for young women.

But does teaching work? I believe that evidence shows that it does. I looked into the teaching of modesty at a large congregation at Covenant Life Church in MD and was impressed by the effectiveness they have experienced as a result. Their church provides teaching on modesty from the pulpit, in small community groups, in youth groups, and in women’s ministry. Overall, their pastor notes, the women in the congregation exhibit an attitude of modesty and commitment to God’s way for how they dress. (Mahaney, 2002) In addition, young men and women have expressed appreciation for the understanding they have gained from their church’s leadership. One young woman wrote to one of the church’s pastors,

"I wanted to thank you for the message on modesty that you presented at my church several months ago…I usually consider myself as dressing modestly… But [after the message] I had to go back, with the 'Modesty Heart Check' you provided for us. It has been a challenge, a means of grace for my friends and me. I have seen it hung on the mirrors of many of my friends as they exclaimed, 'if you stick it there, there is just no way of getting around it.' It has also been much easier to bring things to people about their clothing, or point something out to them, because they have heard the message. I have seen a lot of changes in the way some of the girls dress as a result of your message. Thank you!! Emily." (Whitacre, 2005)

The young men in the church, as well, have expressed gratitude for the teaching of their church and how women exhibit modesty. One wrote,

“I am so grateful of the friendships that God has given me over the past year and a half and for the godly ladies in my care group. I am so appreciative of the sacrifice that these ladies make to glorify God and to serve and care for the guys. I heard a story of one of the ladies in our ministry who went shopping and really liked a shirt she was trying on. But then she thought, “No, I can’t do this to the guys.” That was the first time I had ever heard of anything like that and it made me so grateful. It is such a blessing to have friends who care for us enough to be selfless and sacrifice… I think modesty is so attractive and helpful in friendship because it makes it easier for a friendship to be centered around God and for fellowship to be unhindered.” (Mahaney, 2002)

In addition, even the secular American Psychological Association, in their study on sexualization, noted the importance and effectiveness of teaching. “Action by parents and families has been effective in confronting sources of sexualized images of girls. Organized religious and other ethical instruction can offer girls important practical and psychological alternatives to the values conveyed by popular culture.” (Zurbriggen, 2007)

Teaching promotes principle and because of this, it's most foundational to helping modesty be understood and lived out on our campus. Once it's in place, then I believe there are a couple more ways that we can next address this issue on campus.

No comments: