Monday, May 28, 2007

Do we dress modestly at Walla Walla College?

Do we dress modestly at Walla Walla College? I have my own thoughts, but I also decided to ask the students, faculty, and spiritual leadership on campus.

First, I have my own observations. Especially as summer has arrived and the weather has warmed up, I have noticed more and more of a lack of modesty among the young women on our campus. Skirts and shorts are very short; shirts are low-cut; spaghetti strap tops (very tight and revealing) are commonly worn to class; dresses are often strapless and quite short. A lack of modesty is also evidenced in the sight of young women often laying on blankets on the various lawns on campus in revealing clothing. This particularly surprises me when it is down on the lawn in front of Sittner, with quite a few windows facing the girls. I believe that for all these reasons, I’ve personally seen a lack of modesty in the dress on this campus.

I also talked to some students on campus. It was interesting to find that most girls were surprised at the issue being brought up and didn’t seem to see it as an issue or else were somewhat defensive, while more young men thought it was a problem. One young man said, “The girls on the campus seem to often dress to attract guys too much with their bodies, instead attracting them for who they really are.” (Anonymous, personal communication, May 22, 2007)

I also talked faculty on the campus, asking them about their observations. First, I asked Bible teachers whether or not this concept was addressed in any of their classes. The answer was no, from the responses I received. I asked spiritual leaders (including pastors) whether or not they have addressed this issue in the spiritual arena of this campus as well. Karl Haffner, senior pastor of the college church, noted that he had covered the principle before in sermons, but it was not a general theme and he thought the teaching was very limited. He did, however, point out that the church has dress guidelines for platform participants. Troy Ahrens, leader of The Awakening, similarly noted that the Awakening also has dress guidelines for their platform participants. “At The Awakening modesty issues for women have been addressed but mostly behind the scenes,” he said. (Ahrens, personal communication, 05 14 2007) I also talked to administration about the issue. One administrator noted, “I think a number of young women on this campus dress in a way that shows they don't understand the messages they're sending, and in addition, doesn't prepare them to be professionals when they leave here.” (Anonymous, 05 06 2007)

Lastly, I asked the girls’ deans for their input. Iva Armstrong shared her concern. “To my knowledge, the females on this campus have not been provided any classes or council on how to dress appropriately,” she said. “I am concerned that the dress code around here in null and void and everyone talks about the way the ladies dress yet no one will say or do anything. (Armstrong, personal communication, 05 14 2007)

Thus, from personal observation, from talking to students, and from the insight I gained from faculty members, I believe our school lacks both teaching on modesty and modest dress exhibited by its students. No one I talked to knew of any outlet for teaching on this subject. Most responded affirmatively to the idea that there is a need for teaching this subject and that the young women on this campus lack an understanding of modesty. Because of this, I suggest that our school needs to take action. But how? I'll look at that next.

9 comments:

Jess said...

To the issue brought up about modesty of the shool's young ladies. I do believe that there is at times a lack of concern about how some might dress them selves but also i am one of those girls that wear shorts and skirts and tank tops around campus. Mostly the problem i think is noticed when there are girls who are maybe over weight or larger in some areas than others. I believe that when some body does not take care of them selves and keep a good figure they can not start to understand that they clothes they wear do no flatter their bodies but make them look worse. I have no problem with showing skin but when it is shown to flaunt then i think it's not good. I like to wear at times short clothes but i think i take note of where i will be going and acknowledge the fact that there are ideal things to wear anywhere. This is a good issue to bring up and although it might be a bit conservative from my point of view it still outlines an important issue, modesty

Lindy said...

I believe that this issue is a good one to bring up on this campus. Even though Walla Walla doesn't really have a certain dress code, I think that we should. I wouldn't even know how to go about getting a dresscode or what the rules for the dresscode should be, but I think this issue should be talked about. I too wear short skirts and tank tops around campus but you will never find me soaking up the sun on center campus in string bikini. Girls who do so are just asking for attention and these are not Christian standards by which our college is based upon.

Shield Race said...

Modesty, or the lack there of, is an issue that is rarely discussed and is always wafted in public. There are many times when I walk down the sidewalk and run into the occasional girl who is wearing a skirt that covers only her back side or the boy who's pants are so low that he has to occasionally pull them up by the sides in the gangsta' move. Some people can get away with wearing things that I, honestly, could not. Short bottoms on one person can be considered modest, but on others who have a curvier or fuller figure, should really leave those clothing items on the rack. For boys, I realize that the whole cool thing plays into the dress and sense of modesty , but seriously, what girl wants to dress up for a guy who is leaving half of backside open for others to see. Think about it. Guys, we're in college, dress to impress. Anyway, enough rambling. I think that this blog, though I'm sure its controversial, points out alot of good things to discuss and act on. great job!

James Duncan said...

I think that modesty is an important issue and maybe more so on a campus that is spiritual, but I have not seen women on campus wear clothes that are too skimpy. I think the ladies should have a general code of how high the skirt is allowed and what is too much skin. But clothes are away of personal expression and to try to tell people what they can and can't wear, I don't think that right.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I wasn't a firm believer in the need for campus modesty. But, after reading your post I agree that something needs to be done on campus. I agree that talking with the girls individually would work better. A long chapel would just make people hate the topic without even giving it a chance.

Anonymous said...

I noticed that there was a lack of criticism on how men dress immodestly.
Let's be fair and bring some attention to both genders, instead of making the young women on our campus as the only people who are "guilty" of dressing immodestly.

Anonymous said...

We're all adults at this school, although some may not act like it. If people wanna dress like sluts thats their problem. Not everything needs to be turned into such a big issue.

Anonymous said...

You should post some photos, so we can better judge the issue for ourselves!

Anonymous said...

i pay for my schooling ill wear what i please thank you very much