Friday, May 25, 2007

Modesty - the Purpose of This Blog

As a young woman and a student at Walla Walla College, I am interested in issues that relate to young women on our campus. As a project for my social problems class, taught by Bobbie Sue Arias, I have looked into the issue of modesty on our campus. As I've studied, I've realized more and more how important this topic is and how much it affects both students and faculty on our campus. In the following posts, I will address and share with you about issues such as...
  • Is modesty really important - and if so, why?
  • Do women on our campus dress modesty?
  • Does Walla Walla College have a dress code?
  • How can we promote modesty at our school?

I hope to further our understanding of why this topic is vital to a healthy atmosphere on our campus, both socially, academically, and spiritually. In addition, I'd like to share what I've heard from students and faculty about this topic. Lastly, I want to share how I believe we can effectively promote modesty on our campus.

Whatever you may this about this topic, I hope you'll take the time look at what I've learned and be open to considering new ideas and new thoughts.

1 comment:

liveau said...

i 100% agree with everything you have said. i have even felt personally, the effects of immodesty in our society on my personal relationships.as a man i find myself in a constant catch 22 when seeing an attractive woman. if the woman is dressed immodestly i am instinctualy and socially predisposed to ogle her as an object of sexual pleasure, thus objectifying her as a human being and undermining my own personal dignity. or i could fight with all my being to resist the urge to look at her body, thus making me feel ocward and uncomfortable when in her presence. it is unfortunate that us males have to be such creatures of lust that are obsessed over the female body, but it is in our nature and we must do our best to control it. some men will say that it is up to women to cover themselves otherwise they are asking to be objectified. this is wrong because it leaves no obligation to us men to do anything about the problem. i think that we should all work together by each sex taking responsibility to do their share to mend the problem. women should do their best to abide by the Christian dress code and men should work hard at not thinking immoral thoughts about women and should not joke with each other about it either because all these things are feeding into our culture of sexual objectification of women which is leading more and more to despicable sexual violence against women and many other problems.
unfortunately this problem of immodesty is so pervasive in our society that it would take an immense effort to change it.
you are talking in terms of our campus, and that is a start but i would like to apply this concept to our entire country.